Is it Better to Buy a New or Used Car?
Comparing new vs. used cars is an important part of finding your ideal next vehicle. As with most decisions, the answer to “Is it better to buy a new or used car?” depends on your priorities, budget, and circumstances. We’ll dive into the details below, but if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.
New vs. Used Cars: Differences and Advantages
New Car Advantages
- Newest Technology: Norman and Edmond drivers will find that the main advantage of new vehicles is simply that they posses the latest technology. This is something that can be hard to find in the used car market, especially as new technology is continues to rapidly develop and evolve.
- Greater Fuel-Efficiency: While not true across the board, modern vehicles are generally much more efficient and clean, regardless of their fuel type, than vehicles from a decade ago.
- Full Warranty Coverage: New vehicles tend to come with full bumper to bumper warranties on everything, increasing the peace of mind of the driver.
New Car Disadvantages
- More Expensive: The primary disadvantage of a new car is that new vehicles are significantly more expensive than used vehicles. Much of this initial cost is not recouped through future value either, as depreciation is worst when a vehicle leaves the lot with its first owner.
Used Car Advantages
- More Cost-Effective: The greatest advantage of a used vehicle is vastly reduced costs when compared to new vehicles. This applies mostly to purchase price, but is also often true of registration and insurance costs.
- Slower Depreciation: The lower cost of used vehicles in the Oklahoma City area is backed up by other financial advantages, like how used vehicles retain more of their value over time. In general, a reliable used car will put much less financial stress on a buyer.
Used Car Disadvantages
- Higher-Priced Financing: The one financial advantage new cars have over used cars is that financing on used vehicles is more expensive than new ones, in terms of the interest rate. Because less is paid for a used vehicle overall, lenders tend to raise the interest rate of used car loans.
Shop with Allen Samuels Volkswagen
Make use of our online financing application and car buying tips today!
More from Allen Samuels Volkswagen
If you have your eye on the new VW Atlas for sale at Allen Samuels Volkswagen, you will likely have some questions about its performance and features. First and foremost, is the 2022 Volkswagen Atlas fuel-efficient? Gas mileage ratings are more important than ever for Norman and Edmond drivers, and fortunately, the 2022 Volkswagen Atlas mpg…
Take on your Norman commutes in the style the VW lineup is known for with the 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan. On top of sporty design and comfortable amenities, the Tiguan engine offers up to 1,500 pounds in towing capacity when properly equipped, so you can take on the daily grind and weekend adventures. Explore the 2022…
The clean look and comfortable seating in the Volkswagen Jetta interior continue to provide Norman and Edmond drivers with everything they need to make their daily drives more enjoyable. Whether in terms of infotainment, comfort technology, or overall features, the Jetta interior delivers everything you want from a compact sedan and then some. Below…